Thursday, January 19, 2012

Thoughts on "The Joy of Quiet"

     "The Joy of Quiet" article infers that our society has gone from whole-heartedly embracing innovative technologies that bring us together, to bringing us a new desire for our own space. When the article made references to how some feel the need to break away from the screen, I felt I could relate to that desire of freedom from technology.
     Technology has provided us with a means of connecting with others more quickly than before. It is no longer a feat to reach others across the globe; we can connect through phones, emails, texts, even visually connect with others via computer screen... but when do we reach our breaking point? When is enough, enough? Don't get me wrong... I am definitely one who likes to utilize technology to connect with others and I love that distance is no longer an issue when it comes to communication; but at times I feel I need a break, to get away from others and be able to retreat to my own space. I find myself leaving my phone behind just because at times I feel it is too invasive, having others keeping track of my whereabout 24/7... I don't like the restrictive quality a phone can sometimes have. It feels as if technology sometimes allows others to break into my "personal bubble"; our technological devices can sometimes lean towards bothersome rather than beneficial. 
     I agree with the viewpoint that sometimes we need to leave the world behind, and try to remain a peaceful state of mind... block everything else out and focus on our lives. As I've said before, technology can be a godsend; but we have to make sure that we do not allow it to take over and run our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment