Friday, March 23, 2012

Continuation of Thoughts on TM Case


Still have thoughts on the Trayvon Martin case. It coerced me to truly look at the big picture when it comes to our race and society. I used to be discriminated against because I didn’t “act black enough” and some students within my race felt that I had no self-awareness or identity because I didn’t have the same interests as them; however, I was fully accepted by others outside of my race. I remember being told that unlike other black students, I wasn’t “scary or threatening”. Then there’s Trayvon who was discriminated against simply for “walking while black”.
There are some people in our own race who tell us that we should act a certain way and if we decide not do so we are alienated. The there are people who are not outside our race that tell us that if we do not act like them, we should be feared. Where do we fit?

No comments:

Post a Comment